One of the first things I ever baked was a muffin. I think because muffin is so simple to make, even someone with zero baking experience can give it a shot. Over the years, I have baked a lot of muffins but still the banana ones remain my favorite. There are 2 reasons to this 1) because they are obviously delicious 2) because I ALWAYS have over-ripe bananas on my kitchen counter so I bake banana muffins so often that they automatically become my favorite. Sometimes I wonder why exactly do I buy bananas? I almost never eat them fresh and wait for them to ripe so that I can bake with them.
Anyway while I make muffins all the time, I try to make them healthier for everyday snacking. I always have loads of Peanut Butter bottles in my pantry (all thanks to my PB obsession!) and so I put it to good use and made these Healthy Banana Peanut Butter Muffins.
These banana peanut butter muffins are healthy, like really healthy!
✔ they made made up of 100% whole wheat flour. I used the regular atta that we use for making rotis for this.
✔ there is no refined sugar. The muffins are sweetened with honey (or you can use maple syrup). Also the banana adds a lot of sweetness to the muffins, it is for this reason that you must use really ripe bananas for this recipe. If you use bananas which aren’t ripe enough, you would not get the desired banana flavor in the muffins. Also you would then need to add more honey/sweetener in this recipe.
✔ there’s greek yogurt, coconut oil in these muffins, which automatically makes them healthy, in my opinion at least 😉
and BONUS – you don’t even need a mixer to make these! So next time you have over-ripe bananas make these healthy banana peanut butter muffins. With school reopening, these would also be great to pack for your kids lunchbox.
* The peanut butter flavor isn’t overpowering in these muffins, it was just right for me. If you want a stronger peanut butter flavor, add 1-2 tablespoons more.
* These muffins freeze well. Wrap them in cling sheet and freeze. To thaw them, place them on the counter.
* The muffins will last 3-5 days at room temperature. When you want to eat them, just microwave them for 30-40 seconds or so and they are as good as fresh from the oven!
Healthy Banana Peanut Butter Muffins
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large bananas [3 or 4 cup mashed banana]
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- ¼ cup greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
- Spray a 12 count muffin pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a bowl mix together whole wheat flour, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
- Using hand whisk, mix together mashed bananas and egg.
- Add peanut butter, coconut oil and vanilla extract.
- Add greek yogurt and mix. Also add the honey.
- Stir in the dry ingredients and mix. Be careful not to overmix.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Fill the muffin liners till 3/4 full.
- Bake at 375 F degrees for 15-17 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Transfer on to a wire rack to cool completely.
Healthy Banana Peanut Butter Muffins
23 thoughts on “Healthy Banana Peanut Butter Muffins”
Need to make some muffins! These look perfect Manali! Pinned!
Muffins looks perfectly baked…can be served as morning breakfast
Muffins are an awesome way to start the day! I love the peanut butter and banana combo! They look fantastic and yay that they’re healthier too 🙂
What a fun recipe, Manali! I don’t think I’ve ever had peanut butter muffins, but these sound awesome…I bet you could toast + butter ’em up for a delicious dessert snack, too!
I too enjoy baking muffins! These look fantastic and would be great for my breakfast.
I love baking muffins too. I agree, they are easy, but they are also portable, and so easy to freeze for later.
I make muffins incessantly – totally my favourite thing to bake! These look delicious, PB and banana is such a great combo, especially with some chocolate!
Healthy dessert is always a win! And I love the PB, banana, and chocolate in these 🙂
Wow! Loving this healthy version of banana muffins. Coconut oil and honey sounds a great combo. I need to make these soon! Happy weekend, Manali! 🙂
I love that they are healthy. So delicious muffins!
Thank you! 🙂