Indo Chinese Fried Rice – veggie fried rice tossed with carrot, peas, pepper, soy sauce and vinegar. A perfect accompaniment to your indo chinese meals!
So I injured my knee again. I can’t tell you guys how frustrated I feel right now. I think my exercise routine is totally jinxed, the moment I start getting into a routine, something happens and then again I can’t get back on track for months! As it is I am finding it quite difficult to workout for months now. The reason is that I have been constantly travelling and that makes it so difficult to follow a routine. I tried to workout in India but it just didn’t happen and now when I was slowly getting back into the rhythm here, my knee gave up on me!
This is the third time I have problems in my right knee in last 2 years. I checked my medical records and looks like my patellar tendon (which connects the kneecap to the shin bone) keeps getting inflamed/irritated. Last time it happened, I was running and suddenly came to a halt. This time I was not doing anything of this sorts, I was just climbing down the stairs quickly and this happened. I think I need to stretch more and focus on strengthening my muscles. You guys have any tips on this? Please let me know!
Coming to this Indo Chinese Fried Rice, this is a super simple vegetarian fried rice which I grew up eating in the Indo-chinese restaurants in India. So this may be far from authentic but this is how it’s mostly done in the Indo-Chinese cuisine. This indo chinese fried rice comes together rather quickly and uses leftover rice. Don’t you love recipes where you get to use the leftovers and create a new dish. I definitely do and this fried rice is one of my favorite ways to use leftover rice.
I have used jasmine rice in this recipe which is what is what works best with Asian recipes but you may use other variety of rice as well. Basmati would work just fine. Once you have the rice all ready to go, it’s all just a matter of mixing everything together. Here I would like to mention that I used few veggies in this recipe – pepper, carrots and peas. We like it this way but feel free to add other veggies of your choice like broccoli, cabbage, mushrooms. I know if I would add those, my hubby would not eat it!
The best way to enjoy this fried rice? Pair with gobi manchurian or chilli paneer. In fact whenever I make fried rice at home, I always end up making some sort of manchurian to go along with. Somethings are just meant to be eaten together! Enjoy!
In a wok heat sesame oil on medium-high heat.
Once oil is hot add chopped ginger, chopped garlic, green chili and chopped celery. Cook for a minute.
Add carrot, pepper and green peas. Saute few seconds. Veggies should remain crunchy.
Add salt, soy sauce, black pepper, white pepper powder and mix.
Add the cooked rice and give a good mix.
Finally add 1/2 teaspoon of vinegar and stir to combine.
Serve indo chinese fried rice with gobi manchurian or chilli paneer. You may garnish it with spring onion green.
* If you want to cook the rice – soak in water for 30 mins. Drain. Boil 5 cups of water with 1 tsp oil in a pan and add the soaked & drained rice to it. Cook till al dente [just cooked] Drain and spread on a sheet to cool. or else use 2.5 cups cooked jasmine rice.
* I recommend using sesame oil in this recipe. You may use vegetable oil in case you don’t have it.
Indo Chinese Fried Rice
- 2.5 - 3 cups cooked jasmine rice
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 2 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1.5 tablespoons finely chopped celery
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup carrot cubes
- 1/4 cup green peas
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- pinch of white pepper powder
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- salt, to taste
- In a wok heat sesame oil on medium-high heat.
- Once oil is hot add chopped ginger, chopped garlic, green chili and chopped celery. Cook for a minute.
- Add carrot, pepper and green peas. Saute few seconds. Veggies should remain crunchy.
- Add salt, soy sauce, black pepper, white pepper powder and mix.
- Add the cooked rice and give a good mix.
- Finally add 1/2 teaspoon of vinegar and stir to combine.
- Serve veggie fried rice with gobi manchurian or chilli paneer. You may garnish it with spring onion green.
Indo Chinese Fried Rice