Time has been flying at some super sonic jet speed and we are almost into the last weeks of April. Which reminds me didn’t we just celebrate New Year?! But I am not complaining because my parents and brothers are visiting us from India in May end and I just can’t wait! So yeah end of April means closer to May means mom and dad will be here soon, yay!
This also reminds me that Mother’s Day is just around the corner and I wish she was here like 2 weeks before. I would have got to celebrate the day with her and make her some of these lemon crepes! It’s an irony that I didn’t know how to cook when I was not married and stayed with my parents and now that I do I am thousands of miles away from them. But I can’t wait for them to be here, I am going to cook up a storm for sure!
You guys! I am so excited to share this recipe today. I was not supposed to share this today but because I was so excited I couldn’t wait any longer and so here it is. But do you blame me? I mean how could I have not shared this gorgeousness as soon as possible, I just had to!
Meet my new obsession Lemon Crepes filled with a delicious lemon whipped cream cheese frosting and topped with blackberry sauce. Did that just make your mouth water?
Crepes are one of my favorite things to eat when we got out for brunch. I have been meaning to make crepes for a while now but it just kept getting delayed because weekends have recently been crazy busy. When I eat crepes outside, I usually go for the ones stuffed with nutella. Mmm so good! But this time around I wanted to change things a bit and so I made these lemon crepes with blackberry sauce. Lemon and berries are in abundance right now and so it only made sense for me to combine the two.
These crepes had just the right amount of lemon flavor. I added some lemon flavor in both my batter and the filling and the result was a super indulgent brunch which we both enjoyed. Hubby said he feels like he’s eating this in a cafe in Paris 😉 Seriously this is such an elegant dish that when you eat it you actually feel like sitting in a fancy cafe.
Talking about the crepe batter. If you have not made crepe before then you must know that the batter is supposed to really thin. If you pour your batter into the center of the pan and swirl it around the batter should move around easily on it’s own. If it doesn’t add more water or milk. However be careful not to make the batter too thin, then the crepes will tear away as you flip them. So yeah it does take some practice but once you get it, it’s pretty simple. I think the batter for crepes is probably the simplest to make because all you have to do is mix everything together in a blender! YES I love it when I can make batter in a blender.
So there’s some good news and some bad news. The good news is that these lemon crepes are delicious and you will love these! The bad news is that I don’t have step by step pictures for this recipe. So sorry guys, I got busy fixing something in my kitchen and forgot to click step photos, I really feel bad about it. But I promise I will update this post as soon as I make these crepes again and rest assured that will be soon enough!
In the meanwhile check my earlier crepe recipe for some step by step pictures! And now go make these gorgeous lemon crepes for your mom on Mother’s Day and her day even more special! Besides who doesn’t like dessert for breakfast?!
* I used white whole wheat flour in this recipe just to include more grains, you can use all purpose flour in place.
* You can make the batter in advance a night before. Cover and refrigerate and use in the morning to make crepes.
*Eggless verion: Yes I know a lot of you ask me for eggless version of my recipes. So for that, skip the eggs and add extra 2-3 tablespoons milk and 2-3 tablespoons water. Now this is an approximate since I haven’t tried an eggless version. So play around with the batter till it’s thin pouring consistency but remember not to dilute it too much either.
Lemon Crepes with Blackberry Sauce
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour or all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon granulated white sugar
- ¾ cup + 2 tablespoons milk
- 3-4 tablespoons water
- 2 eggs large
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- pinch of salt
Lemon Whipped Cream Cheese Filling
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 3-4 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon lemon extract [pure]
- 2 cups blackberries [i used fresh]
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- ¾ tablespoon cornstarch
- ¾ tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Make the crepe batter
- In a blender or food processor, mix together all the ingredients listed under "lemon crepes".
- Pulse for a minute till everything is mixed well.
- Pour batter into a bowl, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. You can even make the batter in the night to save time in the morning.
Make the blackberry sauce
- While the crepe batter is in the refrigerator, make the blackberry sauce.
- Begin by heating blackberries with 1 tablespoon water and granulated white sugar in a pan on medium heat.
- Stir till the sugar melts and dissolves completely, around 2-3 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix together fresh lemon juice and cornstarch.
- Add the cornstarch liquid to the blackberry sauce and cook for another 3-4 minutes or till the sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat and set aside until ready to use.
Make the lemon whipped cream cheese filling
- Keep the steel bowl of your stand mixer or any bowl in which you are going to beat the cream along with the whisk attachment in the refrigerator for 15-30 minutes.
- Beat cream cheese and heavy cream using the wire whisk attachment of your stand mixer or using your hand mixer.
- Once the two start coming together, add in granulated sugar, lemon extract and lemon zest.
- Beat till the filling forms semi-firm peaks, be careful not to over-beat.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Make the lemon crepes
- Heat a non-stick pan on medium heat. Spray with non-stick spray.
- Once hot, pour 1/4 cup [or 1/3 cup for bigger crepes] of batter in the pan and swirl the pan so that batter gets evenly spread around the pan.
- Cook for 45 seconds to 1 minutes and then flip the crepe carefully.
- Cook the other side for additional 30-45 seconds.
- Remove from heat and repeat till the entire batter is finished.
Serve the crepe
- Take one crepe at a time, spoon some of the filling in the center and fold into a quarter or you can fold the crepe into a quarter and place the filling on top.
- Top with warm blackberry syrup and serve immediately.
Lemon Crepes with Blackberry Sauce
45 thoughts on “Lemon Crepes with Blackberry Sauce”
Love it ALL. I love crepes (but you already know this!), and I LOOOOVE lemon and blackberry together! Amazing!
haha YES I know that! You are like the crepe queen! Thanks Sarah!
Manali these look seriously the kind you will get in a fancy cafe in Paris!! And yay for parents visiting!! My mom is visiting in summers too and I feel the same as you do! Wish I was as much into cooking back when I was young too!
Thanks Ami! Ahh yes exactly it’s weird..isn’t it? Yay for your mom visiting!! 😀
I have fond memories of my Mum squeezing lemon juice and sprinkling sugar over her crepes when I was a little girl. Now I can treat her to a fancy cafe-worthy version for mother’s day 🙂 So glad I stumbled across your blog!
Thanks Amy for dropping by! Hope to see you around 🙂
I just love crepes and these sound fantastic with that tart lemon filling and those gorgeous blackberries! So, so pretty, Manali!
Thank you Allie!
These crepes look truly exotic and fantastically delicious dear. Use of lemon and blackberry sauce is heavenly delectable ! I love the way you presented it. You made me hungry. Yum yum :)
Thank you so much dear, glad you like! 🙂
These crepes look gorgeous, Manali! Love the lemon and the blackberry sauce! These would be perfect for Mother’s Day and even after once your family visits you too 🙂
Thanks Kelly! 🙂 Yes I plan to make these when they are here!
Loving this lemony twist on crepes! Pinning immediately!
These crepes are divine! I love the lemon flavour and that sauce is gorgeous!
Thanks Jess! The sauce was amazing, yum!
Oh these crepes look just perfect, Manali! I love the lemon flavor! And that blackberry sauce looks amazing!
So excited for you, Manali! I know you will enjoy having your family in town. These crepes would make for an awesome Mother’s Day breakfast!
Thanks Jen! Yes I’m so looking forward 🙂