One good thing about baking in US is that everything is so readily available. I realized this all the more during my India trip this time. Baking is still not that popular in India and you literally have to search a lot to find the right ingredients and even when you find them they aren’t exactly what you were looking for. I am never happy leaving family and friends behind but if there’s one reason I am happy about going back to US – it’s this! I can now get all my ingredients whenever I want them, I don’t have to spend hours searching for them so YAY for that!
Coming to this lemon pie, I made this using a ready made graham cracker crust. I asked hubby to get these when he was coming to India. Not that it’s difficult to make a graham cracker crust at home, it’s actually very easy but sometimes when you are feeling lazy these pre-made crusts come in handy. The other day I saw lots of lemons in mom’s kitchen and I immediately knew what I wanted to do with them – make a lemon pie.
This is a super easy version, I made it exactly the way you make key lime pie and just replaced the lime juice with lemon juice. The pie just needs 4 ingredients – lemons, pre-made pie crust, condensed milk and eggs.
This sweet and tangy pie makes a great dessert and it’s so easy to make especially if you have the pre-made crust available in your pantry.
* Use fresh lemon juice only. No bottle juice for this recipe.
* Chill the pie completely before serving.
* The pie is best served with some whipped cream.
- 1 pre-made graham crust [9 inch]
- 14 oz can condensed milk
- ½ cup lemon juice
- ½ tablespoon lemon zest for decoration
- 3 egg yolk
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Separate the eggs when cold.
- Whisk together the egg yolk, lemon juice and lemon zest till well combined.
- Add in the condensed milk and beat for 3-4 minutes or till the mixture thickens.
- Pour the mixture into the pre-made graham cracker crust.
- Bake at 350 F degrees for 15 minutes or till the pie looks set and no longer jiggles.
- Chill in the refrigerator for minimum of 2 hours or overnight.
- Cut into slices and serve with dollops of whipped cream.
Easy Lemon Pie