Pizzas, pizzas & more pizzas. Can we ever have enough of it? I doubt! Everyone loves a good pizza and in my opinion nothing beats a homemade version.
It’s so much fun to make pizzas at home because you can play around this flavors, different cheese and different crust as well. Also you can make them healthier [no this recipe isn’t healthy, but you can!] by replacing the crust with whole wheat flour or other whole grains. Also the most important thing for me is that you can control the amount of cheese that goes into your pizza. I don’t like layers and layers of cheese on my pizza and that’s why hardly ever eat it outside. I love the fact that I can add just the right about of cheese to my pizza when I make it at home.
This is one of my favorite homemade pizza recipes and the main reason is that I LOVE pesto! It’s so delicious, how can anyone not love it!
I am not a huge fan of marinara sauce on my pizzas and so when I discovered pesto few years back, I was absolutely delighted. Pesto is so easy to make at home with only few ingredients. You can add it to pastas, salad, sandwiches, pizzas and so much more! [By the way my pesto sauce is made with basil and pine nuts. The sauce can be made using other ingredients like spinach, coriander etc. as well]. I ate a veggie pesto pizza in Portland a while back and since then I have been thinking to recreate the same version at home of course with my choice of veggies and cheese. And so when I made homemade pizza dough last week I knew what I was going to do with it.
You can add a lot of veggies in here, I went with a very simple yet delicious combination of onion and green pepper. You can add spinach, asparagus, mushrooms, red pepper, tomatoes etc. I think they all will taste incredible in this pizza. The same goes with cheese, I added only mozzarella as I love it in my pizzas, you can add whichever cheese you want in whatever quantities you wish to!
This recipe for homemade pizza dough makes two 10 inch thin crust pizzas. I used only 1 dough ball for making this pizza and froze the other one. This is such an easy recipe to make because there’s no rising time and the pizza is literally in the oven in few minutes. If you love thin crust and pesto then you will love this pizza!
* Preheat oven to 500 F degrees.
Roll out 1 dough ball into a 10 inch round pizza. I used homemade pizza dough [and used only 1 dough ball] and rolled it pretty thin as I was making a thin crust pizza.
Transfer rolled dough to a pizza pan sprinkled with cornmeal. Using a fork, poke the dough so that it doesn’t balloon up while baking.
Apply pesto sauce all over the dough. I used around 1/3 cup homemade pesto here. You can even use up to 1/2 cup, depends on how much pesto you want in your pizza.
Place onion rings to form a circle over the pesto sauce. Then place cubed green pepper in between the onion circles. Arrange some sliced onions and more bell pepper cubes in the center. Basically you can arrange them in whichever way you want to! Sprinkle some salt & pepper on top.
Fold the edges of the crust (this is optional) and top the veggies with shredded cheese. I used only mozzarella cheese but you can use any cheese of your choice.
Bake at 500 F degrees for 5 minutes and then rotate the pan 180 degree and bake for another 3 minutes till the cheese is all bubbly and melted.
Cut into slices and serve warm!
* Use a pizza stone if you have one. I used a pizza pan with holes. I think it’s the next best option if you don’t have a pizza stone.
* This thin crust pizza good enough for 2 people. If you are making for 3-4 people you might want to use both the dough balls from the homemade thin crust pizza dough recipe and double the pesto sauce, veggies and cheese.
Onion & Bell Pepper Pesto Pizza
- 1 pizza dough [homemade]
- 1/3 cup pesto [homemade or store bought]
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ green bell pepper, cut into cubes
- 1 red onion, small, cut into rings and slices
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 500 F degrees.
- Roll out the dough into a 10 inch round pizza. I rolled out the dough very thin as I was making a thin crust.
- Transfer rolled dough to a pizza pan sprinkled with cornmeal. Using a fork, poke the dough so that it doesn't balloon up while baking.
- Apply pesto sauce all over the dough.
- Arrange onions and green bell peppers over the pesto in whichever way you want to. Sprinkle some salt and pepper on top.
- Fold the edges of the crust (this is optional) and top the veggies with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 500 F degrees for 5 minutes and then rotate the pan 180 degree and bake for another 3 minutes till the cheese is all bubbly and melted.
- Slice and serve immediately.
Onion & Bell Pepper Pesto Pizza