You know it’s fall when Starbucks starts featuring Pumpkin Latte on their menu! It’s the most popular drink during fall but me being a tea lover prefer their pumpkin chai tea latte, which is a delightful combination of pumpkin and lots of spices. I had my first pumpkin chai this year a week back, while it was nice I thought it was the regular Starbucks chai with little pumpkin pie spice. I could not really taste any pumpkin in there!
And so I thought of making this fall drink at home by using some real pumpkin. I used Tazo organic black chai because that’s what people at Starbucks use so yes I guess I was trying to recreate the recipe and if possible better it!
I used little pumpkin puree and cooked it with spices. I then added milk, water and chai tea bags and let it simmer till it came to a boil. The chai was ready in 5 minutes and it was as good as the pumpkin chai tea latte at Starbucks if not better! I would like to mention here that I used only 1/2 teaspoon of pumpkin for 1 cup of chai, you can increase the quantity depending on how much you love pumpkin! For me personally 1/2 teaspoon was good enough, I love the spices more! Since the chai tea bags already have lots of spices you can skip adding the cinnamon powder. I love spiced chai so it worked well for me.
Add pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon powder into a pan on medium heat.
Cook the pumpkin with spices for 2 minutes till pumpkin is cooked.
Add water, milk and vanilla.
Add chai tea bags to the mixture, I used Tazo Organic Chai. Also add the sugar.
Let the chai come to a boil.
Sieve using a strainer and serve hot. Garnish with some whipped topping and nutmeg powder.
* Adjust the quantity of pumpkin puree and the spices to taste and preference. This ratio worked just fine for me.
* You can also garnish the drink with nutmeg powder and pumpkin pie spice.
* You can adjust the quantity of milk and water according to your preference. You can use half milk half water or use very little milk or use lots of milk, whatever suits your taste. For a creamier, thicker chai use whole milk.
Pumpkin Spice Chai Tea Latte
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin puree [canned or fresh]
- ¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 chai tea bags [ I used Tazo Organic Chai]
- 2 teaspoons sugar or to taste
- nutmeg powder to garnish
- whipped topping to garnish [optional]
- Add pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon powder into a pan on medium heat.
- Cook the pumpkin with spices for 2 minutes till pumpkin is cooked.
- Add water, milk and vanilla.
- Add chai tea bags to the mixture and let it all come to a boil. Also add the sugar.
- Sieve using a strainer and serve hot.
- Garnish with some whipped topping and nutmeg powder.
Pumpkin Spice Chai Tea Latte
18 thoughts on “Pumpkin Spice Chai Tea Latte”
I adored your blog until I read this title. No self respecting indian can say “chai tea latte”. translate it and see how silly it is.. “tea tea latte” Please as a food blogger its you who can change this. Dont feed the starbucks frenzy… Sorry you lost a reader.
Hi Sri, sorry you felt that way. I only tried to recreate Starbucks Prumpkin Spice Chai Tea Latte and hence had to give it the same name. Indian chai is always chai..I have other “chai” recipes on the blog but if I try to recreate a recipe I have to give it the same name 🙂
Ah! I need this in my morning ~ this looks delicious. I am also more of a tea person than a coffee person!
Sounds so good Manali!! Love this latte.
I love this latte, Manali! Chai and pumpkin spice lattes are my absolute favorite from Starbucks, so I’m ecstatic that you created a combo! Looks delicious! Can’t wait to try this out!
Thanks Gayle, please try and let me know how it turns out!
Wow , this looks amazing! Just in time for fall! I love Tazo Chai tea! Great pictures!
Thank you Mira!
Ahhh, two of my favorite drinks: pumpkin lattes and chai tea. Must try!
This sounds completely delicious. It’s so perfect for this cooler weather in my area today.
Thank you Jen, yes it’s perfect for cool fall mornings!
YUM! This sounds better than Starbucks’ pumpkin spice chai tea!!
Thank you Shashi!
Mmmm your recipe sounds way better than starbucks! I love their regular chai latte so I know I will love this one!
thanks Lindsey! It was as good as Starbucks pumpkin chai tea latte if not better plus it’s so easy to make!