A unique salad bursting with flavors of fennel, orange and Mezzetta Olives! Also a fun giveaway at the bottom of this post!
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Wow I am sure everyone must be super busy preparing all that delicious food! I would love to hear all about your menu! Obviously I am most interested in the desserts and I am hoping my pecan streusel pumpkin pie makes to your Thanksgiving table! Anyway with so much yummy food, we also need something healthier to balance it out, agree? And so here I am with a very unique salad – Fennel Orange Olive Salad with Mezzetta Olives!
Have you guys tried fennel? I know it’s not something we eat everyday, in fact I tried it for the very first time this year only. Before that I only knew about fennel seeds, which is used a lot in Indian cooking. In fact Indians eat a lot of pickle and fennel seeds are almost always added to all pickles. However eating fresh fennel was something which I had never tried until few months ago.
To make this salad more flavorful, I roasted the fennel with some garlic and balsamic vinegar. Tastes so good! And let’s not forget about the star of the salad, the Mezzetta Olives. The Kalmata Olives are my absolute favorite, they add so much flavor to any dish. All you have to do is add them to a dish and then see the magic. Pizza, Sandwiches, Breads and of course salad, they taste amazing in everything! Mezzetta sources the finest fresh produce from the sun-drenched soils of California, Italy, Spain, France, and Greece and prepares them according to their Italian family recipes at its state-of-the-art production facility in the Napa Valley.
I hope you guys give this roasted fennel orange olive salad a try. It’s so flavorful and also very different from what we usually eat, I am sure you will love it as much as I did! And for those who are missing the cheese in salad (yes I know!), please feel free to add any cheese of your choice. I would recommend feta and goat cheese.
And now for some fun giveaway! To make your holidays even more memorable, Mezzetta is hosting The Holiday Memories Sweepstakes, where you can win some pretty amazing prizes, like this Olive Lover’s Gift Basket! I am actually in love with those bowls! ❤ Don’t you want to WIN this? ?
Other prizes include!
Grand Prize (1) – Instant Print Digital Camera plus a Ultimate Olive Lover’s Gift Basket including Mezzetta Olives, Olive Spoon, Cutting Board, Olive Bowl, Cocktail Napkins and Recipe Card.
Runner Up Prizes (10) – Ultimate Olive Lover’s Gift Basket including Mezzetta Olives, Olive Spoon, Cutting Board, Olive Bowl, Cocktail Napkins and Recipe Card.
Click HERE to enter! All you have to do is enter your name and email address and that’s it! Easy right? So don’t miss the opportunity! Good luck!
* Add any cheese of your choice to this salad before serving. Feta cheese would go very well with this!
Roasted Fennel Orange Olive Salad
For the fennel
- 1 bulb of fennel
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
for the salad
- 2 oranges peeled and cut into rounds
- ¼ cup mezzetta olives
- ¼ cup cucumber diced
- 2-3 springs of dill finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon orange juice
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Remove the stalk of the fennel and cut it into 2 halves. Divide each half into 4 parts further. We want thick parts of fennel for this salad.
- Heat olive oil in pan. Once the oil is hot, add the cut fennel and crushed garlic cloves.
- Cook till each side starts turning light golden brown.
- Add balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Cook for around 10-15 minutes till fennel softens. Flip the fennel pieces in between so that it roasts equally from both sides.
- Once the fennel is soft, remove it from the pan and set aside.
- Make the dressing by mixing together maple syrup, olive oil, orange juice and salt and pepper.
- To make the salad, in a bowl place together roasted fennel, oranges, cucumber and olives. Sprinkle chopped dill.
- Drizzle the dressing on top and serve immediately.