This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #KingOfFlavor #CollectiveBias
Spicy Cauliflower Wings are sure to make game day more fun this football season! These are healthy and delicious!
Football season is here, which means hanging out with friends, watching the game and munching on some good food! Actually watching football is no fun without good food. A good snack to munch on while watching the game just make it all the more fun. Agree? I have to confess that I had no idea about the football craze here until about 2 years back. So suddenly one year during the football season I started seeing everything blue and green in support of Seahawks here in Seattle. And then wherever I went, I could only see the football craze – grocery stores, parks, gym, it was everywhere! It reminded me of the cricket craze in India.
Over time, I obviously got hooked on to the game. It’s a lot of fun having friends over and watching the game together. Football season is all about tailgating and nothing says tailgating more than hot wings! In usual context hot wings = chicken wings however in my world this means spicy cauliflower wings and I recently found the perfect hot sauce at Walmart to make these wings super delicious! You won’t believe how easy these are to make using El Yucateco Hot Sauce.
My favorite El Yucateco Red Habanero Hot Sauce is made with fresh red habanero peppers, tomato, and select spices and seasonings and this is the sauce that I have used in this recipe. The sauce adds so much flavor to almost anything you add, it’s like the perfect “all purpose” sauce. I have to mention here though that the sauce is really hot, a little more than your average hot sauce. Since this hot sauce has less of vinegar and more of pepper, it’s more flavorful.
I also love their Black Label Reserve Hot Sauce which has a great smoky flavor!
To make these spicy cauliflower wings, I first baked the cauliflower and then tossed them in hot sauce and then put them on a grill pan for few minutes till the florets had grill lines on them. The sauce is so flavorful that you don’t need to add much here. What I love about these wings is that
a) they are healthy. I mean there’s cauliflower in here, that too baked. Do I say more? ; )
b) they are perfect for everyone (including vegetarians!) to munch on while watching the game!
With everyone gearing up for the football season, I am sure you will be on the look out for some easy snacks and appetizers. So next time you want to make something delicious and easy for game day, try these Spicy Cauliflower Wings! And don’t forget to serve them with my favorite creamy cucumber dip. They go so well together!
And now tell me what will you be making this football season using El Yucateco Hot Sauce?
In a bowl whisk together flour, cornstarch, salt, black pepper and cumin powder. Add water to form a smooth paste. Remember the batter should not be thin else it won’t stick to the cauliflower florets and won’t make them crispy.
Dip cauliflower florets into the batter and place on a baking tray.
Bake at 450 F degrees for 10 mins, flip the florets and bake another 10 minutes.
Mix together El Yucateco Red Habanero Hot Sauce, tomato ketchup, honey and canola oil in a bowl.
Toss the the baked cauliflower florets into hot sauce mix and then immediately roll into bread crumbs.
Place on a grill pan and grill till all wings have grill marks on them.
Serve spicy cauliflower wings immediately with creamy cucumber dip.
* You can adjust the amount of hot sauce and honey in this recipe to taste. If you like really spicy food, add 1 more tablespoon of the hot sauce. If you want to bring down the spice level, add more honey.
* The wings taste best when served immediately.
* Remember to keep the batter for dipping the cauliflower florets thick. It needs to stick to the florets only then the wings will turn out crispy.
I found El Yucateco at my local Walmart Store. I found mine in the “Hispanic Foods” aisle.
Spicy Cauliflower Wings
- 1 cauliflower head small, cut into florets
for the batter
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ cup - 2 tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
for the hot sauce mix
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce [I used el yucateco red habanero hot sauce]
- 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
2/3 cup bread crumbs
creamy cucumber dip, to serve
- In a bowl whisk together flour, cornstarch, salt, black pepper and cumin powder. Add water to form a smooth paste.
- Dip cauliflower florets into the batter and place on a baking tray.
- Bake at 450 F degrees for 10 mins, flip the florets and bake another 10 minutes.
- Mix together El Yucateco Red Habanero Hot Sauce, tomato ketchup, honey and canola oil in a bowl.
- Toss the the baked cauliflower florets into hot sauce mix and then immediately roll into bread crumbs.
- Place on a grill pan and grill till all wings have grill marks on them.
- Serve spicy cauliflower wings immediately with creamy cucumber dip.
Spicy Cauliflower Wings