Easy recipes, we all seem to love them. And why not? It all makes perfect sense. If you can create something delicious with readily available ingredients and without any complicated steps then that recipe is always a winner in my book. A lot of my favorite easy recipes come from puff pastry. Isn’t it a magical thing?! I sure thing it is! There’s so much you can do with it. Sweet or savory, everything comes together quickly and easily.
Last weekend, I didn’t feel like cooking an elaborate Indian meal and so there was puff pastry to my rescue again. I used it to make this vegetarian puff pastry tart for our weekend brunch. Loaded with veggies, California Ripe Olives and topped with parmesan cheese, this tart definitely made our weekend a lot more flavorful!
This vegetarian tart has eggplant, red onion, pepper and my favorite California Ripe Olives! Aren’t they just awesome? I remember as a kid I used to ask for extra olives on my pizza. They are one of my favorite things to snack on because they are not only delicious but also healthy. How healthy you may ask? They contain monounsaturated fat which is the good fat and they also contain vitamin E, iron, vitamin A, and fiber. They are packaged at their peak to preserve nutrients for year-round enjoyment. A serving of olives contains 0 grams of trans fat and olives are naturally a cholesterol-free food! And that’s not all, click here to learn more!
Look at this gorgeous and color tart! So perfect for summer!
The flavors in this tart come together so well. All you need to do it dice the veggies and thaw your puff pastry. While the puff pastry is getting thawed, cook the eggplants till they are little soft. And that’s it then you just dump everything on the puff pastry, top it with black olives and bake. You get this gorgeous vegetarian tart ready to be devoured in literally no time.
While this tart had all these amazing ingredients, black olives were my personal favorite. I think they added so much to the flavor to this dish. And guys I have some great news for you! Guess what you now have a chance to win the California Ripe Olives Midsummer Mediterranean Giveaway, where you can enter for a chance to win a fabulous prize package to enjoy tasty flavors this season and beyond. Awesome isn’t it? Enter here!
Heat 2-3 teaspoons of oil on medium heat in a pan. Once the oil is hot, add the diced eggplant.
Cook for 5-6 minutes till the eggplant is softened. Remove from heat and set aside.
Thaw your frozen puff pastry sheet and roll it. Leaving an inch border from all sides, prick the rest of the puff pastry with a fork. This way the center won’t rise up while baking while the edges will. Transfer puff pastry sheet to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or silicone mat.
Add the cooked eggplant, red onion and bell peppers in the center. Do not add the toppings on the edges.
Add parmesan cheese and California Black Ripe Olives on top. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.
Bake at 400 F degrees for 15-20 minutes or till the tart is nice golden brown in color.
Remove from oven, sprinkle some chopped basil on top and serve immediately!
* I used a little less than 1/2 cup of cheese but you can use the full 1/2 cup or even more!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
Vegetarian Puff Pastry Tart
- 1 puff pastry sheet [9x9] thawed and rolled
- 1 eggplant medium, around ¾-1 cup diced
- ½ cup red onion diced
- ½ cup pepper diced [i used mix of yellow, red and orange]
- 2 tablespoons olives [I used california black ripe olives]
- ½ cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 2-3 teaspoons vegetable oil
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- fresh basil to garnish
- Heat 2-3 teaspoons of oil on medium heat in a pan. Once the oil is hot, add the diced eggplant.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes till the eggplant is softened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Thaw your frozen puff pastry sheet and roll it. Leaving an inch border from all sides, prick the rest of the puff pastry with a fork. This way the center won't rise up while baking while the edges will.
- Transfer puff pastry sheet to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or silicone mat.
- Add the cooked eggplant, red onion and bell peppers in the center. Do not add the toppings on the edges.
- Add parmesan cheese and California Black Ripe Olives on top. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake at 400 F degrees for 15-20 minutes or till the tart is nice golden brown in color.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle some chopped basil on top and serve immediately!
Vegetarian Puff Pastry Tart
52 thoughts on “Vegetarian Puff Pastry Tart”
This tart looks amazing and not overly complicated which I love. I also love that you used puff pastry!
Thank you Kelley, it was wonderful!
wowzer! I love the idea of a puff pastry tart like this, I usually make small things. I must give this a go!
This is a work of art, Manali! I love black olives, and adding them to a vegetarian pizza is completely necessary. Vegetarian pizza is my favorite, and I love that puff pastry crust!
Thank you Marcie! Black olives were so good here!
Manali, this looks fresh and incredible. I love all the colorful flavors. It makes me want to sink my teeth right into it!
Thanks Kristi! 🙂
Wow such vibrant colours.. Looks beautiful and delicious puff pastry tart.
Thank you Rachna!
Mmmm, puff pastry is so delicious! I love vegetable tarts and this looks amazing! I love all of the colours 🙂
Thank you Harriet!