I am going to share some simple recipes on my blog from now on especially Indian recipes. I thought it would help people who are new to Indian cooking. I can’t believe I have not posted a single lentil (dal) recipe on my blog when I eat it daily! So get ready for more lentil recipes very soon. This is what I eat on a regular basis and this is what I have grown up eating, simple veggies sauteed with onion/tomatoes and spices.
This recipe is super simple, there’s nothing remotely fancy about it. Chopped cabbage and frozen peas are stir fried with onion and some basic Indian spices. This is comfort food for me and I like to eat it with a simple roti (whole wheat bread). I chopped the cabbage finely but usually people chop it lengthwise so you can do either way. Also I used frozen peas because that’s what is available here. You can use fresh peas but will need to boil them first till they are little soft.
Heat oil in pan. Once hot add mustard seeds and let it splutter.
Add the onion and curry leaves once the seeds crackle.
Add in salt, turmeric, red chilli powder and coriander powder. Mix to combine, make sure all the cabbage is coated with the spices.
Sprinkle chat masala or garam masala on top and mix. Add in the lemon juice (optional).
So even if you are new to Indian cooking, this is one fuss-free recipe that you can easily make.
* Sprinkling chat masala or garam masala in the end is optional but it definitely adds to the flavor. I prefer chat masala in this recipe.
* Whenever you are cooking with mustard seeds – let them crackle first and only then add the next ingredients. If you do not let them crackle they will impart a bitter taste to your recipe.
* I chopped the cabbage finely as you can see in the picture. I used a medium sized cabbage and had around 5 cups of finely chopped cabbage.
* If you are not fond of mustard seeds, you can use cumin seeds in place or add 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds and 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds.
* Adding lemon juice is optional, skip if you don’t like tanginess in your veggies.
- Cabbage: 1, medium - finely chopped [around 5 cups of finely chopped cabbage]
- Peas: ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons
- Onion: 1, regular
- Curry leaves: 4-5
- Mustard seeds: ½ teaspoon
- Turmeric: ¼ + ⅛ teaspoon
- Coriander powder: ¾ teaspoon
- Red chilli powder: ¼ teaspoon
- Chat masala or Garam masala: to sprinkle
- Salt: to taste
- Oil: 1.5 teaspoon
- Lemon juice: 1 teaspoon (optional)
- Heat oil in pan. Once hot add mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Add the onion and curry leaves once the seeds crackle. Saute till the onion looks translucent.
- Once the onion is translucent, add the chopped cabbage.
- Add in salt, turmeric, red chilli powder and coriander powder. Mix to combine, make sure all the cabbage is coated with the spices.
- Next add in the peas and mix.
- Cover and cook on medium heat till the cabbage is soft, around 5-6 minutes.
- Sprinkle chat masala/garam masala on top and add in the lemon juice (optional). Mix till well combined.
- Serve hot with Indian breads like roti or paratha.