We all love paneer, don’t we? Especially if you are a vegetarian like me chances are paneer is your favorite sabzi!
I always used to purchase paneer from the Indian store, somehow I had this impression that homemade paneer would not be as firm as the one we get from outside. But trust me once you make paneer at home you will not want to purchase it from stores again. The homemade paneer is softer, fresher, smoother and tastier as well.
And to top of it, making paneer at home is also very easy.We only need a few ingredients for this. Let’s see what all we need for making panner at home.
1. Milk: 1 Litre
2. Lemon Juice: 1/8th cup
3. Heavy Cream: 1-2 tbsp [optional]
So let’s get started!
1. Take a heavy bottom pan and put the milk to boil. Keep stirring the milk after every 2 minutes or so. You can add 2 tbsp heavy cream at this point if you want. This is optional but it does make the paneer more creamier and softer.
2. Once the milk has come to a boil, take it off the flame and start adding lemon juice slowly. Keep on adding the lemon juice till the milk curdles completely.
3. Now put a cotton cloth over a strainer and drain the milk.
4. What remains now is the curdled milk. Hold the cloth from all sides and drain all the liquid. You can tie the cloth for 15-20 minutes to ensure that all the liquid is drained out and then squeeze the remaining water using your hands.
5. Now turn the cloth upside down and put weight on the paneer. I read somewhere that for 1 litre of panner, one should put 1 kg of weight on it. So put 1 kg of weight, you can see what I used in the picture.
Leave the paneer to set for 3 hours now and after 3 hours this is what you will see.
Now you have a soild slab of fresh paneer which is smooth, fresh and very soft. You can now slice the paneer into small cubes or any shape you want. Use the panner right away or store it in the fridge for later use. I would suggest immersing the paneer slab in water and then keeping it in the fridge else the top of the panner dries up.
Make matar paneer, palak paneer, paneer paratha or any of your favorite paneer dish using this fresh homemade paneer.
This was really simple, wasn’t it?