Wish you all a very happy and prosperous Diwali. I decided to not share another sweet recipe and in stead share this easy Instant Pot Butter Paneer with you guys on Diwali! This has to be the easiest and also the tastiest butter paneer (restaurant style!) that you can make in no time. So excited to be sharing this recipe with you guys because it took me some time to perfect it and I couldn’t be more pleased with the final results!
If you love all the Instant Pot vegetarian/vegan recipes that I share on the blog, please join me on this Facebook Group – Instant Pot Vegetarian Recipes. The group would feature vegetarian instant pot recipes from all around the web!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. For more information on my Affiliate and Advertising Policy, please click here.
A paneer dish is almost certain on every Diwali menu in India. I mean whether you are a vegetarian or not is immaterial – you are an Indian and it’s Diwali so there has to be some paneer on the menu. I remember we always had butter paneer or matar paneer or paneer pulao for every Diwali meal. So if you are still looking for some last minute Diwali recipe, look no further. This butter paneer will be just the perfect addition to your Diwali menu, and the best part is that you can make it in less than 30 minutes in your Instant pot.
You guys know I love my Instant Pot, these days I hardly use any other pan or cooker. It’s always the Instant Pot, love the convenience of it and the fact that I don’t have to clean too many dishes when I cook in it. Yeah I hate those piles of dishes, so the lesser the better it is for my sanity! For this recipe, we pressure cook tomatoes, blend them and then finish it off with some cream and butter. It really can’t get easier than this, even if you are a beginner in the kitchen, you will get this one right and I promise you that. The creamy curry gets its flavors from cardamom, garam masala, butter, cream and a touch of honey.
This Instant Pot Butter Paneer
✓ tastes just like the one at your favorite restaurant!
✓ is super easy to make and gets done in less than 30 minutes
✓ has a creamy, buttery sauce and you might want to drink it straight out of the bowl 😉
It took me some time get this recipe right. I wanted it to taste like the one you get in restaurants but without much efforts or prep work. What made a lot of difference to the final result was the addition of tomato paste and kasuri methi. For those who don’t know kasuri methi is dried fenugreek leaves and often used to impart a nice aroma to Indian dishes. Tomato paste is also very important, it makes the tomato flavor so much more pronounced (since it’s concentrated), I highly recommend not skipping it. By the way, I always used to buy those cans of tomato paste and then after using 1-2 tablespoon, it would eventually go waste. Well not anymore! Now, I buy these tubes of tomato paste and use them as and when needed. You can get one HERE.
Hope you guys enjoy this Instant Pot Butter Paneer recipe as much as we did! If you want to keep this vegan, use tofu in place of paneer, vegan butter in place of regular butter and replace cream with coconut milk. Enjoy!
To the inner pot of your instant pot, add diced tomatoes.
Then add chopped ginger, garlic and green chili.
Add in the cashews and crushed green cardamoms.
Add the spices- red chili powder, garam masala, salt along with 1/2 cup water.
Close the lid of the IP and set valve to sealing. Press the manual/pressure cook button and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes. Quick release the pressure.
Open the IP and puree the contents using an immersion blender or using your regular blender. Press the saute button.
Add butter, tomato paste and heavy cream.
Also add in more garam masala, honey, kashmiri red chili powder and salt (as required). Mix to combine everything together.
Serve instant pot butter paneer with naan or any bread of choice!
* You may strain the sauce to make it completely smooth – I did not do it.
Instant Pot Butter Paneer
To pressure cook
- 4 large tomatoes [500 grams] roughly chopped
- 4-5 garlic cloves [12 grams] roughly chopped
- 1 inch ginger [12 grams] roughly chopped
- 1 green chili [1 gram] or adjust to taste chopped
- 8 cashews
- 4 green cardamom crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2.5 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1.5 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon kashmiri red chili powder for color
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 225 grams paneer cut into cubes [around 1.5 cups paneer cubes]
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon crushed kasuri methi also known as dried fenugreek leaves
- To the inner pot of your instant pot, add diced tomatoes, chopped ginger, garlic and green chili.
- Add in the cashews and crushed green cardamoms. Add the spices- red chili powder, garam masala, salt along with 1/2 cup water.
- Close the lid of the IP and set valve to sealing.
- Press the manual/pressure cook button and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes. Quick release the pressure.
- Open the IP and puree the contents using an immersion blender or using your regular blender.
- Press the saute button.
- Add butter, tomato paste, heavy cream.along with more garam masala, honey, kashmiri red chili powder and salt (as required). Mix to combine everything together.
- Stir in the paneer cubes. Add chopped cilantro and kasuri methi and let the curry simmer for 2 more minutes.
- Serve instant pot butter paneer with naan or any bread of choice!
Instant Pot Butter Paneer