When my family was here, I made tons of calorie rich food, no really look at this and this and there was more which never made it to the blog. And as a result of this indulgence (read: over indulgence) I have put on few pounds! Urgh I so hate it when my jeans starts to get tighter. Anyway now in order to get back on track I am trying to eat salads for dinner. I am still eating my desserts and exercise is one thing which I always do, so that is there but now I am deliberately trying to add in more salads to my diet.
The good thing about salads is that they are so easy to make. There’s hardly any cooking, they are nutritious and also very filling. One of my favorite ingredient to add to my salads is quinoa, yes the super food! I really like quinoa but I don’t cook it often and I don’t know why. Maybe because hubby can’t stand it and I am lazy to cook it all for myself. When my parents were here, I made this quinoa salad with almonds and they loved it so much. That was the first time they tasted quinoa and they liked it so much that they took a big pack of it from Costco with them.
I made this quinoa chickpea salad the other day when I really wanted to have something quick and healthy. And since I had some mangoes in my refrigerator it only made sense to add them to the salad. This salad tastes great when it’s a little chilled. So I would recommend keeping it in the refrigerator for 20-25 minutes before serving. Topped with toasted pecans, this quinoa chickpea mango salad is also vegan.
And guys I have something else to talk about as well. I have decided to join Yummly as a publisher. Do you guys use it? If not I highly recommend it. On Yummly you can see recipes that you like, based on your preference! And that’s not all you can save all your favorite recipes in your recipe box on Yummly. I think that’s so amazing that all the recipes that you want to try can now be stored at one place!
To find all recipes from Cook With Manali on Yummly click here. So join today and start to yum your favorite recipes. To yum a recipe, just click on the “yum logo” that you see in the side bar!
Looking for more healthy salad recipes? Check these out!
* Cooking time is the time required to cook quinoa.
* You can add some honey or maple syrup to your salad dressing if you want.
Quinoa Chickpea Salad with Mango
- 1.5 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup chickpeas, boiled
- 1 cup mango cubes
- ½ cup sweet corn
- ½ red pepper, cubed
- ½ orange pepper, cubed
- 10-12 pecans, roasted
- ¾ tablespoon olive oil
- 1.5 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1.5 teaspoon sriracha
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- Cook quinoa according to instructions on the package. Set aside.
- Boil the chickpeas or use 1 cup canned chickpeas.
- Roast the pecans in a pan until fragrant, around 5-6 minutes. You can also roast them in the oven.
- In a large bowl mix together quinoa, chickpeas, mango cubes, sweet corn, red pepper, orange pepper. Set aside.
- In a mason jar, add all the ingredients listed under "dressing". Close the jar and shake it till everything is well combined.
- Pour the dressing over the salad. Mix till combined.
- Top with roasted pecans, cover and chill the salad bowl for at least 20 minutes before serving!