Are you still sticking to your New Year’s resolution of eating healthy? I never made one in the first place but I try to eat healthy most of time, especially during the weekdays. Weekends is a different story of course. Anyway so in case you are swaying away from your resolution, this salad will put you right back on track. Loaded with protein, veggies, greens and nuts this salad is not only filling but also quite delicious [that is if you like quinoa!]
I can say this from experience that not everyone is a quinoa fan, it’s an acquired taste. I won’t still call myself a quinoa fan but I do like it and I also cook with it from time to time. Although more often that not, I end up eating it all because my hubby will not it. Not at all! So I made this salad the other day for lunch and I didn’t feel like eating anything till dinner. Told you it’s very filling and I also I think I ate way more than I intended to. I gave a slight Indian touch to the dressing by adding some spices and coriander chutney. To spice up the levels, you can also add some red chili flakes in here.
Let’s look at the goodness this salad has!
Kale, high is fiber and water content, also rich in Vitamin A & C. Because of it’s amazing health benefits Kale is everywhere these days, from salads to smoothies to sandwiches!
Quinoa is packed with proteins and has a higher fiber content than most of the grains that you eat.
and then there’s tomatoes, onions, corn and pecans – all good food!
Most people here like to add cheese in their salad, which you can too if you want to. I hardly ever use any cheese for my salad recipes simply because I do not like cheese in my salad, weird I know but that’s just me. Feel free to alter the spice levels and adjust the dressing to your taste!
PS: There’s still time to enter the Giveaway. You can win $50 Gift Card from Sur La Table! Click on the picture below to enter. Open to US residents only.
Quinoa Kale Corn Salad
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 cups kale, finely chopped
- ½ cup sweet corn
- 8-10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ red onion, sliced
- 3-4 basil leaves, chopped
- 10-12 pecans, toasted
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander chutney [homemade or store bought]
- ¼ teaspoon coriander powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-2 teaspoons maple syrup [adjust to taste]
- 1 lemon juice
- salt, to taste
- ground pepper, to taste
- Toast the pecans in the oven or on stove top till lightly fragrant. Set aside.
- Mix all the ingredients for salad in a big bowl [except pecans]
- Take a mason jar and all the ingredients listed under "dressing" in it. Close and shake the jar vigorously til everything is well combined.
- Pour the dressing over the salad. Toss to combined.
- Top with toasted pecans and serve immediately.