Sweet Corn Soup
Jan 31, 2018, Updated Jun 24, 2020
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Light and easy Sweet Corn Soup – veggies like green peas, carrots make it more nutritious. It’s very lightly spiced and make a great soup for cold days. It’s one of the very popular Indo-Chinese recipes and my husband’s absolute favorite.
Hey guys, how was your weekend? Mine was absolutely crazy. We did so much and still it felt like that we did nothing, I am sure that feeling sounds familiar, isn’t it? Why is there always so much to do and never enough time? In other news, it has been raining non-stop in Seattle and I am totally fed up with it. I can’t remember the last time I saw the sun, someone please bring back the sunshine already!
I have been making tons of soup in this crazy weather and I am so excited to share this one with you guys. Now there are few reasons as to why I am so excited to share the sweet corn soup recipe with you guys but the most important one is that it is Sarvesh’s favorite soup and he was just thrilled that I finally made it at home! Actually I have made sweet corn soup before but it never turned out that good and so I had to wait until I got it right for the blog. I am finally here with a recipe which I think makes really good homemade sweet corn soup!
Did you guys know that this soup is very popular in the Indo-Chinese cuisine. And generally also, it’s a very popular soup in India. Mostly it consists of sweet corn with veggies like carrots, green beans, cabbage, peas. It’s usually lightly flavored with vinegar. However I always add up adding so many condiments to my sweet corn soup like sweet chili sauce, green chili sauce, soy sauce, ahh there’s so much! It’s like I can’t drink the sweet corn soup until and unless I add these things to it. Do you do the same?
This Sweet Corn Soup
✓ is easy to make with simple ingredients
✓ has veggies like sweet corn (of course!), carrots & green peas
✓ is vegan and can be gluten-free
✓ is lightly spiced and comforting for cold days
I have seen few recipes of this soup using cream style corn and while I think that would be great here, I used regular corn and pureed it to a paste and used in the recipe. The reason was that not everyone has access to that can of cream style corn, so I have tried to keep the recipe more basic and approachable for everyone. You can use other veggies here like cabbage, mushrooms, french beans. I only had carrot, peas and spring onions on hand and that’s what I used in the recipe.
Also for this sweet corn soup, I have used canned sweet corn. You can use frozen or fresh too. Hope you guys like this one!
To a blender add 1/2 cup sweet corn and 1/2 cup water. I have used canned sweet corn here.
Blend to a smooth paste and set it aside.
Heat a large pot on medium heat. Once its hot, add oil to it and then add the chopped ginger, garlic and green chili.
Saute the garlic and ginger for 30 seconds until fragrant and then add the carrots, green peas and green onion whites.
Also add the remaining 1/2 cup of sweet corn along with the sweet corn paste that we had prepared earlier.
Cover the pot with a lid and let the veggies cook on medium heat for 5-6 minutes.
Then stir in 3 cups of water or vegetable broth.
Add black pepper and salt.
Add white vinegar, soy sauce and mix to combine.
Add sugar and mix to combine.
Dissolve 4 teaspoons of cornstarch in 1/2 cup water. Stir well and then add to the pot.
Stir and let the soup come to a boil. Lower the heat and let it simmer for 2-3 more minutes.
Garnish the sweet corn soup with green onion greens and serve hot!
Sweet Corn Soup
- 1 cup sweet corn divided, I used canned sweet corn
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons oil use oil of choice
- 1/2 inch ginger finely chopped (6 grams)
- 3-4 garlic cloves finely chopped (7 grams)
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- 1/3 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup green peas frozen, soaked in warm water for 10 minutes
- 2 stalks green onions chopped, white & green parts separated
- 3 cups water or vegetable broth
- black pepper to taste
- salt to taste, around 3/4 teaspoon
- 1.5 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/2- 3/4 teaspoon soy sauce or tamari for gluten-free
- 1 teaspoon sugar or to taste
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with 1/2 cup water
- To a blender add 1/2 cup sweet corn and 1/2 cup water. I have used canned sweet corn here. Blend to a smooth paste and set it aside.
- Heat a large pot on medium heat. Once its hot, add oil to it and then add the chopped ginger, garlic and green chili.
- Saute the garlic and ginger for 30 seconds and then add the carrots, green peas and green onion whites.
- Also add the remaining 1/2 cup of sweet corn along with the sweet corn paste that we had prepared earlier.
- Cover the pot with a lid and let the veggies cook on medium heat for 5-6 minutes.
- Then stir in 3 cups of vegetable broth or water. Add black pepper and salt.
- Also add the white vinegar, soy sauce and sugar and mix to combine.
- Dissolve 4 teaspoons of cornstarch in 1/2 cup water. Stir well and then add to the pot.
- Stir and let the soup come to a boil. Lower the heat and let it simmer for 2-3 more minutes.
- Garnish the sweet corn soup with green onion greens and serve hot!
- You may add other veggies like beans, cabbage, mushroom to this soup.
- Use tamari in place of soy sauce to make it gluten-free.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Sweet Corn Soup