My husband’s favorite season is here and yes it’s only because he gets to eat mangoes. I think 90% of the Indian population is obsessed with mangoes, I don’t blame them though. You do get the most amazing mangoes in India, the ones we get here in USA can never match up to them. The Indian mangoes are so sweet and bursting with flavors, each variety has it’s own unique flavor. And that is the reason why mango is everyone’s favorite fruit in India!
For the last few years we always went to India during winters. Made sense because summers are no fun with 115 F degrees. Even though we enjoyed the cool winters in Delhi, we [read “my hubby”] missed our favorite mangoes. Last year for a change we went home during summers! He went crazy with the mangoes, like drinking mango milkshake every morning for breakfast. After 2-3 weeks, there came a point when I asked him “Don’t you get tried of drinking this same mango milkshake every day?” He replied with a very blank face “But these are Indian mangoes, how can you ever get bored of them”?! Umm okay I get it [NOT]. Maybe I am just not that mango crazy!
Anyway while I like drinking the regular mango shake and mango lassi too, one of my favorite mango drink recently has been this mango ginger lemonade. With temperatures rising, I feel like sipping on something fresh and refreshing all the time and nothing better than flavors of mango, ginger and lemon combined together.
The best part about this recipe is that you can make this in advance. Make the sugar syrup, combine with the mango puree and keep in refrigerator for 3-4 days. When you wish to drink this mango ginger lemonade, simply add cold water to it and enjoy! It’s also great when you have surprise visitors at home, just mix water and serve! After all who doesn’t enjoy mango in summers?!
Looking for more mango recipes? Check these out!
In pan add sugar, 1/2 cup water and ginger.
Stir till sugar completely dissolves and then bring the mixture to a boil.
Once the mixture boils, remove from heat, cover and let it steep for 30-45 minutes. Now use a strainer to get rid of shredded ginger and strain the liquid in another bowl.
Add lemon juice to the sugar syrup and mix.
Now add the thick mango pulp and stir.
Add 1.5 cups of cold water , mix and chill the mixture for 2-3 hours.
To serve add ice cubes and garnish the mango ginger lemonade with fresh mint leaves.
* Adjust sugar according to taste and also according to how sweet your mangoes are. You might need to add more sugar if your mangoes are on the sour side.
* Add sparkling water/soda water in place of regular water to make is a fizzy drink!
* You can increase the amount of ginger in the recipe if you prefer it’s taste. This much was perfect for me to give that subtle ginger flavor without going overboard.
* The cooking time includes the 30 minutes wait time when you let the ginger and lemon flavor steep in the water.
Mango Ginger Lemonade
For sugar syrup
- ¼ cup granulated white sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 heaping tablespoon grated ginger
- ½ cup mango puree thick
- ¼ cup lemon juice [from 1 big lemon]
- 1.5 cups cold water
- ice cubes to serve
- mint leaves to serve
- In pan add sugar, 1/2 cup water and ginger.
- Stir till sugar completely dissolves and then bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once the mixture boils, remove from heat, cover and let it steep for 30-45 minutes.
- Now use a strainer to get rid of shredded ginger and strain the liquid in another bowl.
- Add lemon juice to the cooled sugar syrup and mix.
- Now add the thick mango pulp and stir.
- Add 1.5 cups of cold water , mix and chill the mixture for 2-3 hours.
- To serve add ice cubes and garnish the mango ginger lemonade with fresh mint leaves.
Mango Ginger Lemonade